Saturday, September 15, 2012

Rhythm creation



     In my classes, I like to do a lot with rhythm in the beginning of the year, to bring back all of what may have been lost during the summer.  I like hands on activities, some created these rhythm making cards.  I have enough that each student in a class of 35 (none of my classes are that big, but it never hurts to have a few extra) can have two of each card.  I color coded the notes so I can do visual assessments easily, even from across the room.
     This particular set was used at the beginning of the year with 3rd graders.  I have other notes on different colors - half notes are royal blue (and twice as long so students get the visual of the two beats taken up. I also have beige and grey for combinations of eighth notes & sixteenth notes, and I have purple with triplet eighth notes.
     I do all sorts of activities with these cards throughout the year. Students make rhythms that I say using rhythm syllables, do rhythmic dictation from unpitched percussion, create their own rhythms individually and in groups... The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment