Saturday, September 22, 2012

Smartboard Orff lesson

     A while back (last year? Maybe the year before?) I was at an Orff Mini Conference at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. There I was able to attend a session where the presenter did a bunch of Orff lessons based around children's books.  I love to read, and I love to see kids reading, so these kinds of lessons are super fun to me.  I loved learning them, and I've loved doing them with my kids.
     One book she used in a lesson was He Came with the Couch by David Slonim.  I immediately went out and bout the book, and I've done the lesson for the past two years. (I guess at clears up the mystery of when the conference was, huh?).
     This year, I had my 3rd graders doing melodic dictation of the first phrase before they picked out the rest of the phrases on glockenspiels.  The whole time I was writing notes on the board, I was thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool if I had a little icon of the guy on the couch to use in place of notes?"  So I got to work with my smartboard software, and here's what I came up with.


     The little guy at the bottom is an infinite cloner. The original slide comes up with nothing on the staff, just the lone guy at the bottom. On this page, I was showing it to a few of my friends this morning, and from what I can figure out, there's no way to delete an image using the Smart Notebook App for iPads.
   In any case, if you want to see more of this lesson, come to our session at OMEA. There's a good chance it might be part of our presentation!


No comments:

Post a Comment